Monday, February 1, 2010

Ebriosity

Update 2: Now I'm really hooked. I made it out to the Five Star on Friday with Max and Kyle O', and while I made slight progress, I still couldn't put together a send. I think I'll be hiking up the hill to boulder this weekend, but I can't wait to get back to Ebriosity!

Update: I'm hooked. I went out to the Five Star yesterday and made some more progress... hopefully I'll get it next time I go out there. Such a good climb! Here's a video of my best attempt. (Purists will note that I'm not starting on the lowest possible rail, but whatever...)



Cortney and I played hooky from our many responsibilities last Thursday afternoon and headed to the Five Star Boulder for a few hours of bouldering. It had been a long time since I had visited the Five Star, and I was really excited to play on its tall granite faces. The weather was dry and crisp, and the walk felt trivial after walking to the top of the hill a few times during the last couple of months.

The Five Star Boulder

I was really excited to try Ebriosity, the boulder's classic testpiece. The climb ascends a series of sloping rails through a complicated sequence of body-tension moves and a couple powerful right heel hooks. I put a handful of days into the line over a year ago, but smitten with Leavenworth during the summer season, never returned to complete it. While I didn't get the send on Thursday, I was able to re-figure out my sequence and climb the line in two halves... I'm really excited to return and finish this one off! I think it's one of the proudest lines in Washington, and it's a real pleasure to work on such a classic problem so close to home. With good weather and a little luck, I'll be back out there this Thursday to finish it off.

A Few Pics of Me Attempting Ebriosity

Another highlight of the day was spotting Corney on the Five Star Arete. It was her first day of effort on this one, and she was able to get up to the last move. This is probably one of the hardest climbs she has put work into yet, and it is great to watch her progress. Nice job Cortney!

Nice Scenery (For a Clear-Cut)

No comments:

Post a Comment