Thursday, August 21, 2008

Equinox Wall

I went to the Equinox wall for the first time with Kyle, Benjit, and my buddies Ryan and Sam from Colorado last week. Located near the infamous Devil's Rock Garden in Mount Vernon, the Equinox is a steep sport wall that was 'secret' until, well, I found out about it. Benjit recently bolted the majority of the routes, even though there are Bryan Burdo routes there dating from the early 90's. The crag is similar to Nason Ridge, as it is a single-pitch overhung sport crag with 10-15 independent lines, but the rock is way better. I had heard talk of this crag for a while before visiting, and I have to say the reviews are not unfounded - It's the best sport cliff I've climbed on since Rumney, for sure.

Though the Equinox wall is photogenic and even has a great photographer's boulder, I didn't manage to take that many pictures in between wanking on the wall's easier climbs. With Ryan behind his lens and Kyle and Benjit in serious project mode, Sam and I were forced to try and make a respectable showing for Team Boulder Climbing... which we sorta did. We warmed up on a beautiful yellow face on the far left end of the cliff, redpointed Kyle and Benjit's short warm-up route, and then I tried Johnny Rocket, a difficult climb with a short crux that was established earlier this year. Needless to say, I didn't get that far during my first try on the route, but I'm psyched to get back.

Here's Benjit attempting his lower extension to the sustained Black Magic

Ryan Olson trying to de-pump after the crux of Johnny Rocket for his successful flash ascent

Kyle trying to climb the lower section of his link-up project as well as he can...

The venerable self-portrait

No comments:

Post a Comment